- Process & Technology: Before start any process do some research about the manufacturing component/parts. Analyze easy and difficult parts of complete process, start with manufacturing of difficult parts and merge with easy parts for quick outcomes. Whether its sand casting, die casting, lost wax casting or through latest technology, choose appropriate method which precisely build your component.
- Material or Metal: Based on the application, you have to select desired material or metal which is durable as well as corrosion resistance. If you select poor material then it may produce various faults in manufactured component. Based on the requirements select metals or their alloys such as stainless steel, aluminum, copper, nickel or cobalt etc.
- Design: It is most important to understand investment casting design and production, without fail maintain the tolerance ratio. The linear tolerance ratio isUp to .250” --> +- .004" per inch.251” and more --> +- .005" per inch.
Above given values are primary or thumb rule, it may vary as per application and procedure.
- Strength & Weight: many time upper limit of the metal has taken as weight of the casting part, you can produce 150lb weighting parts but try to not exceed 100lb. For larger casting parts wax injection is required.
- Combine Parts: Many manufacturer might thinking combining parts are difficult for design as well as manufacture. But it’s quite easy to combine multiple parts into single unit and producing one balanced component, it also reduces many assembly operations. For example hooks, tubes, handles, chambers etc. are combine for one operation. Try to combine separate parts in single manufacturing which surely improves item’s utility.
- Edge & Corner Radii: Outside corners and edges should be design accurately, otherwise in unmolding phase it’ll break sharp edges or corner and may damage your accurate design. In the standard investment casting process 015R corner & edges radii are allowable. Because sometimes in round corner double cut of wax mold applied. Always maintain the corner and edges to reduce damage cost.
- Inspection Method: There are many methods to test and evaluate effectiveness of casting components. Some of the popular tests are magnetic particle inspection, radiography, as well as other destructive testing. Always be careful while evaluate or examine casting parts, sometime over evaluation may damage the precise component. Different material has different evaluation criteria in mechanical property plus chemical examine.
Friday, 21 July 2017
In the Investment casting, investment term refer as ceramic materials which is used as hollow part in that liquefied metal is poured to build casting components. This complete process is referred as investment casting process, many industry follows and preferred this process to build various casting components. Take a quick look for Casting Types and Process.
In the complete process designing is the most important part, exact replica of the component is design as molded form. In that form metal is poured and get shape of desired component. Before we start discuss about 7 rules, let’s get brief information about the complete investment casting process Investment Casting – Process & Benefits.
Investment casting process is very efficient as well as economical as compare to other. It’s special investment area in which many industrial folks are interested. Following are easy and important rules should be followed by investment casting manufacturer.
The last words, investment casting process is highly popular and should be follow accurately to design and manufacture industry related components. These seven rules may help you to produce precise casting components without any flaws and errors.
Waiting for your ideas and views in comments…!!!